Everyone knows that black and white are a classic combination. Black and white have combined to create some truly iconic fashion moments over the years, from Chanel’s Timeless Classic Handbag to Audrey Hepburn in a timeless monochrome ballgown with black and white accessories.
But is the monochrome trend worn out? What black and white accessories trends can we expect to see on the catwalks, red carpets and streets? These 10 style pointers are your perfect guide!
1) White dresses and black leather jackets – this is a great combination that contrasts feminine dresses with a cropped leather jacket. Think Rebel Without a Cause with added femininity.
2) Beaded necklaces with statement ribbons in black silk are set to be hot for the rest of 2009 and beyond. Just check out Vera Wang’s knotted pearls with black silk ribbon.
3) Geometric patterns and prints. Graphic appeal is hot, hot, hot. Enough said.
4) Accessorise your little black dress with silver jewellery. And not just conventional stuff, but why not try something a little different? Like black and silver jewellery made from natural seeds polished to shiny black. Or faceted black agate earrings. An added benefit: black and silver jewellery will outlast the season and you’ll want to wear it several years from now.
5) Ruffle sandles in silver are cool. Or even regular flip-flops or gladiator sandals in black and white. ‘Cos black and white accessories include shoes and footwear too!
6) Silver sequins can make your little black dress really stand out. Or black and silver jewellery with sequins.
7) Stripey T-shirts in Russian Navy style – a new take on the classic T-shirt. And why not accessorize with an on-trend beaded necklace in white?
8) An original take on an old favourite – leopard print in grey and white can look awesome. No wonder the likes of Rachel Weisz, Demi Moore and Scarlet Johannson have all been snapped wearing grey-toned leopard print on the red carpet.
9) Black and white accessories or clothing allow you to add a splash of colour! We’re talking a bold splash of red or turquoise or yellow! Go for it! You don’t just have to accessorise with black and silver jewellery!
10) Black and white can be really flattering, and remember that strategically arranged bands of contrast colour can make you look a lot more slender!